Here is what to do if you are unlucky and get into a car accident with no insurance, whether it’s you or the other party who has no insurance.
Despite making the best and relentless efforts to practice road safety and safe driving, sometimes people may find themselves between a rock and a hard place.
For motorists, the best and surest way to be protected against such occurrences is of course to take an insurance cover before anything happens. In line with the behavior of human beings, it is very normal to be averse to making loses and hence the need to insure yourself against any risks like that of being involved in an auto accident or worse still, causing one.
Cases where you or the other persons involved, don’t have a car insurance
However, in extreme instances, a person may be unable to afford the insurance cover as it is beyond their financial means. Instances where people find themselves without an insurance cover are very rare.
These rare occasions may be due to expiry of an already existing cover and consequent delay in renewal of the cover, or even purchase of a new car without the insurance cover prearranged.
There are some of the rare instances that may cause an individual to be without an insurance cover, if it is not due to the fact that the individual cannot afford it.
Motor accidents range from the minor accidents to the fatal accidents that claim people’s lives, leaving others with permanent illnesses. In all these situations, there is always the individual responsible for causing the accident.
For individuals without an insurance cover, it is mandatory to follow some steps in an attempt to be on the safe side.
Steps to take in a car accident, where you or the other party have no insurance
Car accident no insurance? There are many scenarios in which an accident may occur. However, for people without insurance, the worst situations are when they cause accidents by hitting other motorists or pedestrians; they stand to face a law suit if the situation is not handled correctly.
Car accident involving pedestrians
In the event that an uninsured person hits a pedestrian, the following cause of action is advised:
- If the pedestrian is fatally wounded, it is important to seek immediate help by calling an ambulance to the scene.
- Calling a policeman is the next cause of action.
- The other important step is to take down the name, address and number of the person that has been hit.
- The badge number of the policeman on site is also important and any other people in the vicinity who may have witnessed the accident.
- Armed with that information, while giving the police your statement, make sure that you obtain a copy of the statement.
- Taking pictures of the scene of the accident is also very important.
The above steps are taken to obtain documentation in anticipation that the pedestrian hit will file a lawsuit against you.
It is immediately advisable to employ the services of a lawyer well versed on accidents with no insurance. Rather than wait for the injured party to take legal action against you, it is advisable to compel the lawyer to approach the person for an out of court agreement.
The aim is to propose to meet all the damages including the hospital bills accrued as a result of the accident. A series of pay offs within a specific time frame would be advisable.
Car accident involving two or more cars – What to do?
For car accidents between two or more parties, people are advised by their insurance company to deny liability of the accident until it has been reported to the insurer. In such cases, the insurer of the individual meets all the accrued costs to the counter party.
However, in the absence of an insurer for the party that has caused the accident, the steps taken are slightly similar to the steps above.
- Depending on how serious the accident is, it is important to have an ambulance and the police on the accident scene immediately.
- The details of the other party ranging from the name, the address, the phone number and the driving license should be jotted down. People are advised to have a pen and paper in the glove compartment of their car at all times.
- In addition, the badge number and information from any witness to the accident are acceptable. However, if the person is injured, it can become very difficult to take this information.
- The number of injured persons in the accident should also be taken down.
- With the help of your mobile phone, it is important to take photos of the accident scene. These photos should reflect an overview of how the accident took place.
- Copies of statements from both parties are also important. This documentation is important in the event that the other party involved in the accident decides to go to court. On the other hand, a lawyer who is well knowledgeable in matters involving car accidents with no insurance cover should be retained.
The best way to solve the accident if you don’t have a car insurance
By approaching the injured party and explaining the lack of an insurance cover and the will to settle the matter outside the courtroom may be received warmly.
Suffice to say that ordinarily, the person may be faced with not only the thought of a lawsuit against him but also hefty consequent fines in damages. This can be avoided by the goodwill gesture of approaching the person and agreeing on a compensation plan that is agreeable for both parties involved.
It is evident that in case of an accident with no insurance cover, a person is open to countless lawsuits lobbied against them. In an attempt to prevent such scenarios where an individual causes an accident while they do not have any insurance cover, it is best to be well prepared.
The charges one pays in meeting the costs of repair of the other party’s vehicle, their accrued medical costs among others are very high. For this reason, it is advisable to be safe.
Safety can only be guaranteed by taking an insurance cover promptly on purchase of a new vehicle or upon expiry if an old cover, renewal should be immediate.
The same cannot be said of people who are not in a position to afford an insurance cover. It is very dangerous to drive without an insurance cover; it is even more dangerous having to cause an accident without an insurance cover, always play it safe.
What to do if you are injuried and the other part is uninsured
Watch this great video on the topic an get the answers.
↓ Stay Protected Against Drivers Without Insurance ↓